Thursday 19 November 2009

Meet Uloma 3

I helped Ajuru as he put the things he had brought from the market away; some went into the freezer others into the large spaced storage room. The kitchen was so immaculate, pots and pans stored in the locker above the stove, glasses and cups stacked nicely at a corner, everything was orderly and impressive.

“Come, let me show you where I stay.” Ajuru smiled after the tour of the house.

I was reluctant “won’t Father Patrick be home soon?” I asked.

“No, its just half-past two, he does not come home till four o’clock.” Ajuru said leaning against the kitchen door. He looked tired, his tie now draped over his shoulder, he looked tired but still handsome enough to make me nervous.

“Okay, okay, we can hang out here instead.” Ajuru said smiling.
The silence had gone on too long, it was until he spoke I realized that no one… that I had not said anything in almost a full minute.

Ajuru and I began to prepare Father Patrick’s meal; apparently Father Patrick liked yam pepper-soup with fresh fish. Ajuru and I worked together as a team, chopping up, stirring interchangeably.

“So why do you want to be a priest? Have you always wanted to be a priest?” I asked Ajuru as I watched him cut the yam into tiny pieces.

Ajuru paused and looked at me, that same coy smile returned. He walked over to me and said into my ears.

“I don’t want to be a priest.” He then smiled at me as he returned to what he was doing.

“So why are you…” I was saying a bit too loud, I moved towards him, and standing next to him I said in a whisper.

“So why are you training to be one?” I asked confused.

Ajuru smiled at me; he turned the pieces of yam into boiling water and covered the pot.

“Let’s not talk about this anymore… the wall has ears, and my ticket would be coming through any second now.” Ajuru said easily as he washed his hands in the sink.

“Take me with you!” I blurted out desperately.

“What?” Ajuru queried stunned, he stared at me perplexed.

I moved closer to him, my eyes pleading, “I don’t want to die in this village, I don’t want to live in my father’s tiny house all my life. I don’t want to be a village girl, I want to see England, I want what you want from life. I want an advantage.” I said not knowing when I took his hands in mine. Realizing this, I let it go.

Ajuru just stared at me for a good long second “Uloma, you are just a child.” He said.

“No! No I am fifteen years old you can marry me. My mother would be happy to be rid of me.” I said close to tears.

Ajuru smiled kindly at me and took hold of both my hands “Uloma…” he began.

“I thought you liked me. Don’t you like me Ajuru?” I asked.

Ajuru bowed his head before nodding.

“So, marry me, marry me… take me with you.” I pleaded.

“Uloma it does not work like that! I can not take you with me, I have to get there first, find my feet… meaning settle down, then, send for you, and that could take months, years even.” Ajuru said looking at me now, his eyes sad.

“How many months? How many years?” I queried.

“I don’t know.” Ajuru replied forlorn.

“Guess.” I said.

Ajuru stared at me, he let go of my left hand, as he stroked my face, he smiled.

“It may take two years at worst.” He said, pulling me closer to him.

“Can you wait two years for me? You are a beautiful girl you know, all this village men would want you, your parents may want to marry you off.” Ajuru said.

And I thought, he is right, two years is a long time, I would be seventeen, and my parents especially my mother would be worried and suspicious if I was always turning suitors away. But if Ajuru came back for me in two years, it would be worth it, my mother would not be so angry anymore in fact she would celebrate my choice and ‘wisdom’ at declining all those men, for this wonderful one that lives in England.

“Well?” Ajuru asked, bringing me back to earth.

“I would handle my parents, but in two years time come back for me.” I said suddenly feeling the urge to touch his face, but being too scared to.

“Two years is just a guess Uloma.” Ajuru reminded me.

“In two years Ajuru come back for me, settled or not, come back for me and make me your wife, and the rest would follow.” I replied touching his face now.

Ajuru smiled and kissed the back of my hand “I promise, I will come back for you and make you my wife.” He said and kissed the tip of my nose.

I could feel something was about to happen, the air in the room suddenly changed, we were both silent we just stood there inches apart staring at each other, and then we heard the horn of Father Patrick’s car.

“He is back!!” I squealed terrified.

“It is okay, we will go through my room at the back, there is a short cut to the road from there.

Ajuru took me by the hand and we made our way out of the house without being seen successfully.


So everyday after school for the next month was like this. We meet at the school compound, sometimes we go to the market, or the shoe repair man whatever errand Ajuru has for the day, we would go together and then return to Father Patrick’s house; although, after the first incident, we stayed at Ajuru’s side of the house which was small in comparison, but it had a kitchenette, a toilet and bathroom, and bedroom that had two plastic chairs up against the wall, and a mattress on the floor. Sometimes we would sit on the chair or lie next to each other on the bed talking about our future, we would day dream about where we would leave in England, the kind of money we would earn, how our children would start speaking ‘spree-spree’ like the White people. We would laugh out loud together as we talked about the future, I grew more in love with him, he had plans for his life, I never thought he was so ambitious; his ambition impressed and challenged me at the same time. Ajuru kissed me one day, just for half a second his lips touched mine, and it was his first as well as mine. We looked at each other awkwardly after that, I laughed first and he followed suit.

The first Friday of the new month came, I waited for Ajuru as usual, it was getting late it was past four in the evening. I was getting worried, and then I saw him, running towards me, waving a white envelope in his hand. I immediately knew what it was, and I began to jump up and down in excitement.

“My wife, this is it. Father Patrick just gave it to me!!” Ajuru said breathlessly.

He had begun calling me ‘my wife’ for the past three weeks; I liked the sound of it. Who wouldn’t?

“Let me see! Let me see!” I demanded giggling.

Ajuru nodded with trembling hands he opened the envelope and gave me the letter to read. I read the letter over twice, then embraced him and kissed him forgetting where I was.

Ajuru laughed as he pulled away looking around as though to ensure no one saw. Thankfully no one did.

“I am sorry. I am so excited my love.” I said smiling.

“I am too. I have to start packing my things together, I just have a week.” Ajuru said taking the letter from me.

“I will love to help you with your packing.” I said.

Ajuru nodded distractedly “I have to travel to see my parents to tell them.” He said more to himself than to me.

“Can I come, when are you thinking of going, make it a weekend.” I said excitedly as we began to walk towards Father Patrick’s house.

Ajuru looked at me “Uloma, you can’t come with me to see my parents.” He said gently.

“I can’t, why not? We are soon to be married right?” I queried.

“Only you and I know that because right now, I am still planning to be a priest. You know what that means right.” Ajuru said sounding peeved.

“Don’t use that tone with me. I am not stupid.” I said sulking now.

Ajuru looked out to be sure no one was around; he took hold of my hand and smiled at me.

“I am sorry. My wife forgive me, you know I would love for you to see my parents but not now, not when things are still like this.” He explained.

I smiled and nodded “I can’t wait for that day to come.” I said.

3 comments:

Myne said...

My heart is already heavy for Unoma's sake, she is so young and naive. Oh well, such is life we live and learn.

chichi said...

@ Myne: I know right.

Stainless Uloma said...

just like Myne whiteman rightly said, Uloma is so naive. It looks to me like Ajuru will never come back for her if he eventually travels to England.